Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Busy, Busy, Busy!

"Busy, busy, busy, busy as a bee/Martha was so busy, she did not have time to breathe."

That's the refrain from Bob Hartman's story of Martha and Mary, which we read at family devotions the other night. It is also very much in my mind as I work to finish sewing a Bee puppet for our !TNT! (Thursday Nights Together) meeting, beginning this week. As with last spring, Beth and I will be teaching the younger children (K-4th grade), and this semester our topic is the Beatitudes. Last Spring, we were doing the Alpha curriculum, which seeks to answer various questions about basic Christianity, and our mascot/recurring character was a young owl named Alphie, who had a lot of questions and wanted to be wise when he grew up ("Who ever heard of a DUMB old owl?"). So, as I thought of the Beatitudes, the pun "Bee-Attitudes" came to mind (though obviously I'm not the only one to think of it, as a casual search on Google will show!). Though, the more I thought of it, the more it seemed to me the stereotypical attitudes associated with bees (always being busy being the chief one), the more I saw that the "Bee-Attitudes" might differ markedly from the Beatitudes that Jesus taught. A "Busy Bee" might even be upset that Jesus "sat down" to teach!

And so, I created Benny as a rather high-strung (not "stung") honey bee. He is eager to help teach the kids, and assumes he knows what the Beatitudes are (because they sound like Bee Attitudes), but in fact he is in need of some gentle correcting from my wife, who works as the main teacher for each series. For the voice, all I had to do was speak rather excitedly and change all my s's to zz's, and stretch out any long e's.

For his first outing, Benny had only four legs, no wings, and no stinger, but I'm hoping to have him finished by next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment