Sunday, March 10, 2013


Although my Smaug will largely be covered by piles of treasure, I felt I needed to get some idea of the overall size and shape he should be. Since he is often referred to by Tolkien as a "worm," it seemed he needed to be more serpentine, that is, more long and thin than many dragons I've seen (and certainly not the squat, bug-shaped lizards of "How to Train Your Dragon"). So, here are my early sketches, including the most important "curled up" sleeping pose. He will be reclining through most of the scene, with only his head and neck extending out as he speaks with Bilbo; but at the end of the scene, he needs to rouse himself and "exit" to go take out his wrath on Laketown. And if we can get the one wing to look like he's getting ready to take off, all the better!

No comments:

Post a Comment